Thursday, September 17, 2009

Health Care Speech - part 2

It is time for our Political Leaders work together. I don't think we can get a good bill for everyone if we follow one party or the other. It is truly time for bipartisanship. One thing I think, is the bill needs to be required to have a super majority instead just a majority. This will insure that all sides have been heard from. Some people will say, we elected a Democrat, so that is what the country wants. I disagree. President Obama was elected with 52.9 % of the popular vote. That means 47.1 % did not want him as president. Obama said himself: "Well the time for bickering is over. The time for games has passed. Now is the season for action. Now is when we must bring the best ideas of both parties together, and show the American people that we can still do what we were sent here to do. Now is the time to deliver on health care." I don't agree with the President's plan completely. I think it has good and bad points. Obama said: "First, if you are among the hundreds of millions of Americans who already have health insurance through your job, Medicare, Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have. Let me repeat this: nothing in our plan requires you to change what you have." I think the key word here is "require". I think that if the bill makes it too easy or cost less money to the employer, many will drop their insurance plans. It may end up being better for their bottom line. How many Americans will end up with no choice because their employer no longer offers insurance. I think the proposed number is about 8% of wages. If you ask many small and medium sized businesses, you will find they pay out closer 10% or more right now. I think the proposed number be higher, and make it very difficult for existing businesses to drop benefits. I agree completely with the : "What this plan will do is to make the insurance you have work better for you. Under this plan, it will be against the law for insurance companies to deny you coverage because of a pre-existing condition. As soon as I sign this bill, it will be against the law for insurance companies to drop your coverage when you get sick or water it down when you need it most. They will no longer be able to place some arbitrary cap on the amount of coverage you can receive in a given year or a lifetime. We will place a limit on how much you can be charged for out-of-pocket expenses, because in the United States of America, no one should go broke because they get sick. And insurance companies will be required to cover, with no extra charge, routine checkups and preventive care, like mammograms and colonoscopies — because there's no reason we shouldn't be catching diseases like breast cancer and colon cancer before they get worse. That makes sense, it saves money, and it saves lives." I think this is a very critical part OF ANY bill that passes. more later

No comments:

Post a Comment