Saturday, August 28, 2010

Why You Should Buy The Week Magazine Subscription

By Alex Jackson

As a business owner of a small business, and an investor in stocks, I consider keeping abreast of the news something that is paramount and absolutely essential in my daily life. Unfortunately, it's usually the case that I find myself not having enough time to get enough sleep, much less watch the news or read the newspapers.

It's catastrophic for me when I end up getting my news from my friends, and it's absolutely disastrous if it's something that happened days ago. It's a pet peeve too, if I go to a dinner party and realize that I have no clue what the dinner conversation's about. It's not so much the embarrassment, but more of the annoyance that the snide "You mean you hadn't heard about that yet?" comments create.

Politics is an iffy subject. The problem with it is that so many people are strongly opinionated about it, and the columnists are no exception. It takes a lot for a magazine to adhere to strict journalistic principles and deliver good, factual articles. Only one publication that I have read so far does this, and it's The Week. In fact, my friend and I have differing political views, and we both love this magazine!

It is because of reasons like these that make me source around for ways to help me make use of my time more productively. I'm a huge fan of time management techniques such as the Pomodoro technique. Named after "tomato", it's a pretty good way to ensure that you focus on the task at hand, and rewards you with breaks at set intervals.

Of all though, I find that the best thing that I have done is to cancel all my newspaper subscriptions and magazine subscriptions, except those that truly add value to my life. The Week, as mentioned above, is one such publication. Most other publications are usually nonsense because of the time-sink that they really are. I don't need inaccurate, opinionated journalism - I just need the accurate truth, laid out in a concise manner! If you're like me, then you should try doing what I did - I can't recommend it highly enough!

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment